Honestly, it’s been a while, and while there are numerous things to write about I simply don’t know where to start. Last I left this blog was approximately a month ago. What has happened since then? Mostly a lot of work, the third term is intense, and I’m happy to say that given the scope of the past seven or so months I have learned more than I thought possible. This is stemming from operations, to marketing to finance, as well as a lot about me, and this is not strictly a result of the LEAD class. But what really is breathtaking is that we’re almost wrapping up the 1st year at ESADE. We have, give or take three more weeks and that’s it c’est finis. Then we all part ways and leave for the summer, each on our own path.
I’ve pretty much narrowed down my options to a couple. I’m still waiting to hear back from a few companies, and one in Barcelona regarding a summer job, which given the context of my other option (which I will soon cover) would be ideal, as I really want to spend the summer here. The job option is in Switzerland (still waiting to hear back from this one as well), and then the final one, the one that I really want.
So what is it? Well, since about the middle of term one, I was playing around with an entrepreneurial idea, quite a good one too, but as we started digging into the possibility it soon became evident that an initial investment of a couple million € would have been necessary, not to mention a slew of issues pertaining to digital rights management. And for anyone who knows anything about DRM, it is an absolute disaster trying to wade those waters. Now, there’s sprung up another idea, one with much lower development costs, just as much potential, and better yet in a growing market than one which is just trying to forge itself. So risk, reward, we’re going for the new one.
So why do I want to stay in Barcelona? Because my business partner is here, communication would be easier than say if I were stuck in Zurich, and we could hypothetically get this thing to launch January 2008 (And I really mean hypothetically, because S.A. will undoubtedly slow things down). So now, choices. Should I follow the instant gains from an internship? Should I couple an internship with this project, and if I do will I have an adequate amount of time to devote to both? And finally what if it doesn’t work, will not having an internship in any way, jeopardize my future employment plans. After all there is the MBA tab to settle with Sallie Mae? Choices, choices, choices… In the end, I think I’m going to follow my gut on this one. Let’s just hope my gut is right.
And on a final note, the cleaning lady broke my desk lamp, que puta. (kidding)